A large book with a man peeking out of its splayed pages hovers above a collection of images from children’s literature: ships, trains, flamingo, cat, knight on horseback,and other human figures. The symbol of the National Council of Jewish Women sits at the center of the book plate with the date of the organization's foundation.
The Boys’ and Girls’ Library, now known as the Elsa and Joseph Hopmeyer Boys and Girls Library, was founded in the late 1940s by the National Council of Jewish Women. It currently serves a population of 150 - 200 children with its collection of 6,000 books. The National Council of Jewish Women of Canada was created in 1897 and was the first Jewish women’s organization in Canada; NCJWC works on behalf of disadvantaged people in both Jewish and non-Jewish communities. The Council’s motto is “Faith and Humanity.” The signature of the unknown artist is “GH” with the date 1947 written next to his/her initials.